Sunday, September 23, 2007

I'm Tired....


Ahab told Jezebel all that Elijah had done, and how he had killed all the prophets with the sword. Then Jezebel sent a messenger to Elijah, saying, “So may the gods do to me and more also, if I do not make your life as the life of one of them by this time tomorrow.” Then he was afraid, and he arose and ran for his life and came to Beersheba, which belongs to Judah, and left his servant there. - 1 Kings 19:1-3

So this week has been my Elijah week. Just in case you aren't familiar with Elijah's story and/or don't go to the Bible for the context of the Scripture above here is the background. Elijah had just finished killing off the prophets of Baal that he had put to a challenge. Elijah had given them all kinds of opportunities to prove that Baal was real. After he mocked them and they cut themselves...he put an end to their worship, worshiped the real God, and then had them killed for their false worship. Well this didn't sit well with Jezebel and she wanted to have him killed. When Elijah heard this, all of what God had done...the consuming fire and everything...went right out the window and he took off running like a scared little child. I feel like I have done that this week...I am tired from battling, I am tired of running, I am tired of trying to be the diplomat making sure I get my point across yet now offend anyone.
My battle...the inerrancy of Scripture. The statement made, "Our faith isn't in Scripture...It's in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ." The problem...Romans 10:17, "Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word." The attack this week came in the area of the trustworthiness of Scripture. Throughout history, Scripture has been seen as inerrant, infallible, and inspired. It wasn't until the 1970's that this historical belief was challenged and people started to make statements like, "The Bible is only true [inerrant and infallible] in the areas of faith and practice." While this might not seem like a big deal, it is a huge deal. If the Bible is not error free in some areas, then how do we know for sure if it is error free in the areas relating to faith and practice. Now I am not an idiot and I know that there are some apparent discrepancies [which can be explained in a logical rational way], but those apparent discrepancies in no way mean that Bible has errors in it, as was stated by my opponent.

I know that I am called to be faithful man who the Word has been entrusted to, but I get tired. If you are reading this blog, pray that I will fight the good fight (when I need to) and keep my mouth shut when I need to. I am still young and need to temper what I say with the Word of God...but sometimes it seems as if the attacks come from the side that you least expect (your own). Soli Scriptura!

No comments: