Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Winds of Change...


Well as some of you might have heard, my time here at Christ the Rock is coming to an end. It's not just the end of my time here at Christ the Rock, my time in youth ministry is over as well. It's hard to believe....10 years at the same church doing the same thing and loving every minute of it (even the tough times).

I thought it would be a good thing to write out what has brought about these changes so that no one gets the wrong idea. Last March I was planning on taking a group of youth to Canyon Hills Community Church for a Precept conference. The week of the conference I got a call from the church. Naturally, I thought the call was going to have something to do with the Precept conference. Much to my surprise, it was not. The pastor on the other end of the line started by saying that he had called NANC (the National Association of Nouthetic Counselors) and gotten my resume from them. He went on to talk about their church and how they were looking to fill the counseling spot when their current counselor retired in the following spring. Long story short is one meeting led to another and this past Friday they called and offered me the "Pastor of Counseling" position at their church. Counseling is a passion of mine, counseling is where I believe I have been gifted, and counseling is where I have been educated. It was the perfect fit.

The only problem...leaving those I love, care for, and consider my sheep and closest friends. 10 years is a long time and relationships that have been around for most of that are deep. So it was not an easy decision that I came to when I told the other church that I would accept the call. If I would have been ticked off, upset, or in any other kind of negative emotional state, the decision might have been a whole lot easier. The fact of the matter is that I was not looking to change churches, ministries, or anything else. I was called out of the blue and when all was said and done...it was clear that God was moving me out of youth ministry, away from the Christ the Rock, and onto other things.

I really wish I could have my cake and eat it too. I want to have the job that I am going to and bring everyone with me or bring the church I am going to down to PO so that my relationships can stay intact. But that's not life. We are vessels in God's hands and He is positioning all of us exactly where He wants us. This isn't some cop-out to make me feel better or anything like that. It's the truth. Romans 9 is all about the Sovereignty of God and how He has the right to do what He wants with those that He has made. I live and breath this, as some of you know. God had this time planned out before I was even born. He is bringing it to fruition and will see it through to the end. I can't stand up and say, "Hey God, what are you doing?", and neither can any of you who might be reading this blog. Isaiah 46:10 says, "Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times things which have not been done, saying, "My purpose will be established, and I will accomplish all My good pleasure';" God will do all that He wants and as His adopted son, I need to be submissive to His plan. In addition to this, Isaiah 55:8 & 9 says, "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways," declares the Lord. "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts." Amen to those truths. I am glad that God is in control and not me...I would screw things up in about 2 seconds.

I am sure there will be more to come in the way of excitement and hurt as the days progress towards my leaving. I will continue to rest in the fact that God is working all things together for His good to those who love Him and are called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28). Feel free to leave me feedback on this blog. I would love to hear from you. For those of you who I am closest too and hurting for the most...I am only a hour and 10 minutes away. Not too far. God is good and He will not allows us to go through something that is too tough to handle but He will give us the way of escape (1 Corinthians 10:13). Rejoice in the Lord always and again I say rejoice! Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication [asking] with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:4-7).
My last day at Christ the Rock is October 13th. I won't be leaving the area until around November 1st though. See you all around.

Soli Deo Gloria - To God be all the Glory for ever and ever Amen.

3 comments:

"The Boosha's" said...

We love you guys so much!

Tom Ferguson said...

Dude, You know we will miss you, even though your going to be 10 minutes or less from my office. We Love you guys, you are our family and like you said "God is working all things together for His good to those who love Him and are called according to His puropose.(Romans 8:28)" I am so excited for you and your family, what a great opportunity this is for you Ben. I have no doubt that God will be Glorfied in your new position as the Pastor of Counseling. You will always be my brutha no matter how far away you are. God Bless you and your family Pastor Ben. We Love you man and will pray that the transition will be smooth.

Anonymous said...

Diddo to everything Tom said. We will miss you guys greatly. You have been there with us in the good times and the bad times and have always been a light towards God for us!!!! Though I feel like I am losing my shepherd I know that God has great plans for HIS GLORY!!!!!!!!! We are so excited for you guys and we love you all!!!!! Anything we can do to help, please don't hesitate to call!!!! Don't hesitate!!!